- This event has passed.
Housing Crisis Reporting: Important for Policy and Perception?
March 28 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Join SV@Home for a panel discussion with the Bay Area News Group Reporting on the Housing Crisis: Why It’s Important to Public Policy & Perception “How intense is the Bay Area’s housing shortage? Intense enough for one news chain to grow its beat from 1 to 5 reporters.”
Reporting on the Housing Crisis panel will dig in to The Bay Area’s News Group’s role in informing the public on housing policy, progress, and shaping public perception around all things housing. We recognize that the media plays a key role in addressing the housing crisis and one news group locally is investing more time and resources into this monumental task. The panel will highlight their focuses and priorities when reporting out to the community on housing and how these issues interact with other sectors. We look forward to a lively discussion focusing on ways to come together to address our housing challenges and how to appropriately identify possible solutions. RSVP today!
Panelists of Bay Area News Group Reporters:
- George Avalos is a business reporter for the Bay Area News Group. He’s been ahead of everybody reporting news on Google’s massive purchases and plans for San Jose
- Erin Baldassari covers transportation and housing the East Bay Times and Mercury News and is based in Oakland
- Louis Hansen covers housing — or the lack of it — for the Bay Area News Group and is based at the Mercury News in San Jose
- Marisa Kendall covers housing for the Mercury News and East Bay Times, splitting her time between Oakland and San Jose
- Katy Murphy covers housing and the state Legislature for The Mercury News and East Bay Times
Although meetings of specific importance will be added individually to the calendar, these monthly meetings may be of interest on an ongoing basis:
Housing, Land Use, Environment, and Transportation (HLUET) Committee – Typically meets at 10am on the third Thursday each month. As a regular agenda item, the County Office of Supportive Housing presents its monthly system data report at these meetings. For details, select HLUET Committee in the drop-down menu in the left sidebar on the County of Santa Clara website.
Housing and Community Development Commission – Typically meets at 5:45pm on the second Thursday of each month. For details, see the Commission calendar on the City of San Jose website.