- This event has passed.
SV@Home Lunchtime Forum: Where does housing get built?
August 16 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
The first session aims to uncover where housing gets built, an in-depth discussion of Housing Elements and General Plan process.
- Framer: Tom Brinkhuis – Housing Policy Development HCD
- Speaker: Rosalynn Hughey – Department of Planning, Building and Code Enforcement, City of San Jose, Director
- Speaker: Chappie Jones – City of San Jose, Vice Mayor and Chair of the Cities Association of Santa Clara County RHNA Subregion Committee.
Members: Free; $10 for guests
Lunch will be provided
2019 Lunchtime Forum Series Announced: What does it take to build housing?
We know that housing is unaffordable, with a six-figure income required to afford an average rental apartment in Santa Clara County and a more than $250,000 per year income required to purchase a median-priced home. In 2018, our Lunchtime Forum series dove into the cost of building housing, including the component costs of market-rate and affordable development, the impact of various local government policies on housing prices, and creative solutions and policies. This year, we will take on another key component of the housing production process.What determines where, when, and how housing actually gets built?
Our 2019 Lunchtime Forum series will explore this question. Each session will be focused on a different stage of the process:
- Forum 1: aims to uncover where housing gets built, an in-depth discussion of Housing Elements and General Plan process.
- Forum 2: discusses when: when do the entitlement and specific plan processes prolong development timelines and how can we make this process work better?
- Forum 3: dives into the policy how: how can single family zoning be transformed to encourage more missing middle housing development?
- Forum 4: tackles the physical how: a deep dive into labor costs, access to labor, and how this impacts whether housing construction is feasible.
Although meetings of specific importance will be added individually to the calendar, these monthly meetings may be of interest on an ongoing basis:
Housing, Land Use, Environment, and Transportation (HLUET) Committee – Typically meets at 10am on the third Thursday each month. As a regular agenda item, the County Office of Supportive Housing presents its monthly system data report at these meetings. For details, select HLUET Committee in the drop-down menu in the left sidebar on the County of Santa Clara website.
Housing and Community Development Commission – Typically meets at 5:45pm on the second Thursday of each month. For details, see the Commission calendar on the City of San Jose website.